Description of the Center of Excellence
The Academic Center for Evidence Based Practice (ACE) was established as a Center of Excellence for The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio in January 2000. ACE is dedicated to bridging research into practice with the ultimate goal of improving care, patient outcomes, and patient safety. This is accomplished through collaboration with multiple entities in The University of Texas Health Science Center; including the Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) Institute for Integration of Medicine and Science and its partners, the South Texas Veterans Health Care System in San Antonio center of excellence, VERDICT, as well as national and international entities such as the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Institute of Medicine, and the Cochrane Collaboration.
The purpose of ACE is to advance cutting-edge, state-of-the-art evidence-based nursing practice, research, and education within an interdisciplinary context. The goal is to turn research into action, improving health care and outcomes through evidence-based practice (EBP), research, and education. The objectives of ACE are to:
- Advance nursing roles in evidence synthesis, translation, integration, and improvement science.
- Furnish a venue for interdisciplinary evidence-based methods and practice.
- Facilitate transfer of health care knowledge to nursing and health care practice.
- Encourage, facilitate, coordinate, and conduct research and interdisciplinary investigations in the field of evidence-based practice and quality improvement.
- Provide education in evidence-based practice through undergraduate, graduate, postdoctoral, and continuing education programs.
Our slogan: …to the best of our knowledge!